Add the CRM Radio skill to your Alexa capable device to play the most recent or choose from a list.
Growing Email Compliance Issues – GDPR, CASL, and CCPA – What?
The database chicken has come home to roost and the results won’t be pretty for those that ignore it. Paul Petersen the host of CRM Radio interviews Dereck Lackey, managing director of Newport Thompson and Chairman of the Response Marketing Association. He is among other titles the author of CASL Compliance, A Marketers Guide to Email Marketing to Canadians. In this fast-paced information jammed 25-minute live program broadcast on December 19, 2019, and now available as a podcast they discuss:
- Jan 2, 2020 California Consumer Protection Act (CCPA) and its far-reaching consequences
- How new laws prevent marketers from doing whatever the hell they want to the customer
- Why CCPA is more targeted to companies that sell data but doesn’t apply to non-profits
- How every company web form will all be affected
- Why legislation is the direct result of marketers who checked out of respecting the customer
- Why it’s embarrassing that governments had to legislate to take care of customers
- Why you must have someone in your company who is the data controller
- Is GDPR the gold Standard for data protection?
- How consumer protection acts are good for your company
About Derek Lackey
With more than 30 years’ operating an advertising agency, Derek is focused on data protection & privacy and its effect on the brand. The author of CASL Compliance: A Marketer’s Guide to Email Marketing to Canadians, he looks to simplify the implementation of new data management practices within organizations such that they comply with global laws such as GDPR, PIPEDA, CASL, and CCPA, while taking good care of their prospects and customers. He believes making compliance practical makes compliance feasible.
Derek is active in the privacy community chairing the Guidance Committee, Canadian Advisory Council – GDPR, co-chair, IAPP Toronto Chapter – 2020/2021, committee member on ISO 31700 – Privacy by Design for Consumer Products, the CEN CENELEC JTC 13 on Cybersecurity and Data Protection and the new Standard Council of Canada’s initiative - Data Governance Standardization Collaborative (DGSC)
He is Managing Partner of Newport Thomson, a data & privacy consulting firm based in Toronto. In his volunteer role as Chairman of the Response Marketing Association, he has provided leadership in the area of privacy and marketing. He is also the Publisher of Blazon. Online a curated portal featuring great content for marketers. www.blazon.online
Educated in Marketing at University of Toronto, Derek applies creativity to his business strategy while placing a strong emphasis on results. At one point in time, seven of the nine brands handled by his full-service ad agency were #1 in their categories in Canada.
We help organizations become compliant with new data/privacy/email laws in:
- United States (Can-Spam and California Consumer Protection Act 2018),
- Canada (CASL and PIPEDA) and
- European Union (GDPR and ePrivacy Regulation)
As the leaders in data & privacy compliance, our Global Data & Privacy Compliance™, a single system service that sets your data & privacy policies and procedures such that the organization is compliant in all jurisdictions.
We also offer Canadian Anti Spam Legislation (CASL) compliance. We help identify and change your organization's practices and policies regarding electronic messaging . This law changes the way we use commercial email and SMS text messaging when targeting Canadians. Our way of operating must follow suit. We offer products/ services in the following areas:
- Review & Gap Reports - for those who wish to do the work themselves and simply have it checked by professionals who have a working understanding of the laws.
- Full compliance Programs/ Staff Training - for those who simply want to contract the entire task to professionals who can bring them into compliance quickly and efficiently.
- Certification Programs - approving other’s work with a full audit/certification.
- Recommending Marketing Automation Technology solutions to track consent status in real time.
- Email List building within each country - with new rules comes new practices in the area of list building strategies.
All services are available in USA, Canada, Europe
Background on the CCPA & the Rulemaking Process
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), enacted in 2018, creates new consumer rights relating to the access to, deletion of, and sharing of personal information that is collected by businesses. It also requires the Attorney General to solicit broad public participation and adopt regulations to further the CCPA’s purposes. The proposed regulations would establish procedures to facilitate consumers’ new rights under the CCPA and provide guidance to businesses for how to comply. For more information about the Office of Administrative Law and California’s Rulemaking Process, see Office of Administrative Law - California Code of Regulations. For more information about the CCPA, see Fact Sheet, pdf.